Associate of General Studies Degree
This flexible program is available for those who wish to tailor an associate degree to their own specific educational needs. The program will provide a variety of educational experiences and career opportunities. Since the program offers students a choice of general education core and electives, it is extremely important for the student to use care in course selection. If the primary goal is to transfer, the student must learn in advance of the particular requirements of the intended school or university. If the primary goal involves occupational skills or personal growth, the student must consult with an LCC advisor before selecting courses.
General Education Core (31 hours)
Area I. Communications (9 hours)
|ENG111||Freshman Composition I||3 credits|
|ENG115||Freshman Composition II||3 credits|
|SPCH111||Public Speaking -or-||3 credits|
|SPCH112||Interpersonal Communication||3 credits|
Area II. Mathematics ( 4 hours)
|MATH116||Intermediate Algebra||4 credits|
Area III. Laboratory Science -or-
Area IV. Social and Behavioral Sciences, -or-
Area V. Humanities and Fine Arts (18 hours)
Approved Electives (32 hours)
Approved electives can be selected from the following prefixed courses: ACCT, AG, AH, ANTH, ART, ASE, BIO, BUS, CCT, CHEM, CJ, CS, CSA, DTEC, ECME, ECON, EDUC, ELEC, ENG, ENVS, EQU, FS, GEOL, HD, HIST, HPS, LAW, MATH, MGMT, MKT, MMC, MS, MUS, NRSG, OADM, PE, PHIL, PHYS, POLS, PSYC, SMET, SOC, SPAN, SPCH, THEO, THTR and VGD.
Requirements for the General Studies Associate Degree
- Student must be enrolled and successfully complete at least 3 credit hours at LCC during the term the degree is conferred and posted.
- A student who has previously earned an associate degree from LCC is ineligible to receive the General Studies degree.
- The Associate of General Studies degree will not be awarded concurrently with any other associate degree offered by LCC.
- A student earning the Associate of General Studies degree from LCC is ineligible to receive the Vocational/Technical Studies degree.
- All 32 credit hours in Approved Electives must be completed at LCC and all courses must be completed within 5 years of term of graduation.
- Courses may only be used once to satisfy any general education core and approved elective requirements.
- No more than 1 credit hour in physical education may be used to satisfy the 32 credit hour approved electives requirement.
- Directed Study courses, Selected Topic courses, Proficiency courses and courses below the 100 level cannot be used to satisfy the 32 credit hour approved electives requirement.
Program Director: Johnathan OrtizPhone: (505)454-2565
ACCESS Center Personnel
Director: Renee MaestasPhone: (505)454-5355
Advisor: Melissa LopezPhone: (505)454-5357